[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Matthew Allum breakfast at 10.am
Tue Dec 10 11:49:50 UTC 2002

I know gnome uses fam [1], to monitor for things like .desktop files
getting changed / added so it can update menus etc on the fly.

However the Linux implementation uses DNOTIFY [2] so it can get signaled
on a disk change rather than continually poll the disk.

So either maybe you dont have fam installed and gnome is dropping back
to continually poll the disk :( or you are running an older ( 2.2.x ?
) kernel that lacks DNOTIFY support, and thus again polling is used
instead.

Of course I could be completely wrong and it could be nothing to do
with gnome and infact be something like ext3, which likes to play with
the disks quite frequently ( IIRC ).

  -- Matthew

[1] http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/
[2] http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/dnotify.txt.html