[Gllug] Hi all

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 17:37:07 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye wrote:
> Vincent AE Scott wrote:
>
>>French, Alastair(Alastair.French at racalinstruments.com)@Thu,
>>Dec 19, 2002 at 04:07:52PM -0000:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>On the subject of quiter fans etc, does anyone know where I can get
>>>a quiet cpu fan for a AMD K6II-300. The cpu fits a super socket 7
>>>motherboard, but anyone who sells the quiet fans etc does not
>>>mention the super socket 7 type. Mine is about to give up and I need
>>>a new one ASAP.
>>
>>it may work without the fan.  i ran my dual PIII/800 for ages, before
>>i realized that one of the CPU fans had given up the ghost.
>

> I took the fan off my 486 (DX4-100MHz) because it didn't even get warm most
> of the time.  It'd been like that for over a year and then when I tried to
> compile a new kernel it kept failing with a sig 11.  It took me about a
> week, several compilation attempts and several runs of memtest to remember
> that it used to have a fan.
>
> Not sure I had a point to that story.

I had similar experiences with an old processor/dodgy fan

random crashes (& much noise of fan)

evenetualy replaced the fan - but not the heatsink

it's the heatsink that has to fit properly - the fan just has to blow
air in the right direction (and not fall off)

on another machine I got a fan/heatsink assembly that fitted but had to
cut of the power connector and solder on the connector from the old fan
as my old motherboard didn't have the right connector for the fan.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk