[Gllug] newbie / modem

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 14:17:04 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I'm a newbie myself (and I hate the word) at Linux.
Hey! On the newbie front - I still feel like a newbie everytime I enter
a new area.  Certainly I feel like a newbie as I try to get an OpenLDAP
server functioning, or trying to configure an unusual configuration :-)

I think it is because there is soooo much to learn because the open
source system is so flexible and so capable.  From basic shell scripts
to hacking a mailserver into a w2k ldap tree.

Kind regards
Xander

> I spent ages trying to get my infernal, internal modem to work. The
> documentation actually told me how to do it. Or at least claimed to tell
> me. Failed dismally.
> Gave up on Linux.  A couple of years later got some good advice and
> bought an external modem at a computer fair , Tott. Crt. Rd, and apart
> from not being able to shut down its caterwauling I have no complaints.
> Can't remember the price but as money is usually an issue it can't have
> been much. It didn't say on the box that it would work with Linux but
> then again few things do.
> So, basically, I'm agreeing what you have been told here so far. Mind
> you, I had a look at the Tixie modems in Morgans and thought they looked
> a bit toy-like. But I didn't, and still don't, know much about that side
> of things.
> Dermot
>
> At 00:56 04/12/02, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the process of installing linux, using Knoppix and DemoLinux to
>> get the feel of the thing and check out my hardware.
>>
>> Naturally, I'm lumbered with a damnable winmodem.
>>
>> Have read lots of stuff on the net about dealing with modems, but not
>> found real recommendations.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a decent modem, and where to get one in London?
>>
>> ta,
>>
>> John

Are you a turtle?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk