[Gllug] Debian install from a SCSI CD-R drive

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sun Dec 29 11:16:23 UTC 2002

At 00:39 29/12/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>I seem to have hit on a goldmine of Debian information however :-)
>My next question is, what's the recommended way to upgrade the
>kernel? For some reason, doing an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' never
>updates the kernel (possibly a good thing). Do I really need
>to search out the appropriate packages by hand and 'apt-get install'
>each one?

There's three schools of thought on this.

1) Download the kernel tarball and configure/compile it yourself.
2) Download the kernel tarball and use the debian kernel package utils to
install it
3) Use generic kernels install via dselect/apt

Personally, I use option 1.  Option 2 is useful is you have a lot of
machines with similar hardware and you want to push out a custom kernel to
all of them.  Option 3 is probably easiest.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk