[Gllug] newbie / modem

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 5 00:08:26 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 09:19, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, N London John wrote:

> c) The best and easist way to get running quickly is to use an external
> modem on a serial (or USB) port.  Yet again, my favourite shop, Morgans
> have
> cheap external modems. The brand is Tixi, cost 24 pounds.
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/bargains/detail.asp?ProductID=705
> Morgans also have 3Com PCMCIA modems in stock for laptop users, though
> I don't know if these have Linux drivers.

Just a small note of caution - external serial modems are safe - they're
real modems. External USB modems are sometimes Winmodems, and should be
checked out thoroughly before purchase.

One easy way to get useful info from a vendor is to tell them you need
the modem to be useable from DOS.

My experience of PCMCIA modems is that most of them are real modems.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk