[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Dec 12 18:35:40 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002, at 17:48 Europe/London, Tethys wrote:

> My main beef with Java, though, isn't so much the language itself, but
> with the attitude of most Java programmers I encounter. There seems to
> be a huge "if it's not Java, it's crap and needs rewriting in Java to
> bring it into the 21st Century" sentiment. I'd much rather the Java
> community made more use of JNI to utilise the huge quantities of
> pre-existing libraries of Useful Stuff(tm). But they don't seem to
> want to do that.

If the Useful Stuff is available on every platform that I use, then I'm
more than happy to use it. Databases spring to mind, as does the SWT,
but I'm sure that there are loads of other examples. If the Useful
Stuff is only available on releases of Windows post XP (as an extreme
and fatuous example) then it's worse than useless to me (since I don't
work on Windows day to day) That's at the root of a lot of the Not
Invented Here. That, and there are people who get a _little_ carried
away with Java.

I know this may come as a surprise, but TMTOWTDI. :)

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk