[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Chris Wareham chris.wareham at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 11 23:14:33 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:
> Yes, the STL is IMHO one of the few redeeming features of C++. BTW, the
> "++" in your messages seems to be being converted to spaces somewhere
> along the line.

I was using BT Internets webmail thing from work. It seems it munges
text for some reason. Sorry about that.

> Quite possibly. But I just wish Sun hadn't made so much of a political
> issue out of it. It got off to a bad start with its hideous CaMelCasE
> naming conventions, but lots of other things share that particular
> affliction (Win32, Xlib, etc.) But Java is one of the few areas where
> I find myself agreeing with JWZ:
>
> 	http://www.jwz.org/doc/java.html
>
> My main beef with Java, though, isn't so much the language itself, but
> with the attitude of most Java programmers I encounter. There seems to
> be a huge "if it's not Java, it's crap and needs rewriting in Java to
> bring it into the 21st Century" sentiment. I'd much rather the Java
> community made more use of JNI to utilise the huge quantities of
> pre-existing libraries of Useful Stuff(tm). But they don't seem to
> want to do that. Oh, and Java RMI is the most bizarrely implemented
> RPC-like mechanism I've ever come across...

I agree that Java isn't a panacea for every programming problem, and the
generation of programmers leaving college knowing little else is bad -
almost as bad as only knowing Pascal ... However, if you acknowledge its
shortcomings then Java is very good tool to know. Combine it with a
lower level language like C or C++ and your well equipped for most
projects.

Chris
--
the delicate dew drops of disgust