[Gllug] newbie / modem

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 6 09:13:59 UTC 2002

At 05/12/02 09:15 +0000, Ivan Virgili wrote:
>I am still a newbie, so I got worried when I saw all those warnings.
>I tried to install the drivers anyway, but it seems to me that the modem
>doesn't want to work.
>
>I will try again tonight. You and Pete said that the output is ok, so if
>it works with SuSE it has to work with Red Hat...

Hello there...

Last night I tried to install the drivers anyway, but the modem was still
not working (PCI modem with Intel 536ep chipset).
I decided it was time to start investigating why.

I finally found out, after opening different files (for ex. wvdial.conf),
that the modem was set as /dev/modem -> /dev/536ep (ls -l /dev/modem), but
the Internet connection had the modem set as /dev/ttyS2 (COM 3, that's the
modem port).
I simply changed /dev/ttyS2 with /dev/modem for the Internet connection and
now RH Linux knows that there is a modem installed to be used when I want
to go on the net.

Unfortunately I still have a problem.
When I click to activate the Internet connection, RH dials my provider's
number and while the two modems are communicating it hangs up and starts
calling again.
I tried to have a look at the settings in SuSE (were everything as worked
perfectly since the beginning) and I made a few changes in RH, but I wasn't
successful.

Any idea on what I could do?

Thanks again... Ciao.. Ivan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk