[Gllug] gllug internet cafe

Norman Duncan normand at teleline.es
Tue Dec 31 22:57:00 UTC 2002

Pete Ryland wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 19:27, Ian Norton wrote:
>

>>I have an idea (probably one someone's had before)
>>
>>but as we all seem to know a fair chunk about computers linux and the
>>next, and we all like pizza and coffee, would anyone agree that its a
>>good idea to maybe set up a 'gllug cafe' :-)
>>

>Yes, this is a wonderful idea, and I'd be willing to commit time to this
>idea.

Ditto great idea

>Two questions:

Two answers rolled into one, with more solutions to other problems
rolled in: here goes.
We/you set up a charity ( I have done this before, so even from
Barcelona am willing to help)
with objectives of research and dev of Linux technologies and educating
the public.

>Where?

Companies who have high street closed in the recession that they cannot
let commercially, like to let to charities on short hold leases, for
next to nothing - they write it all off their taxes. As a charity you
pay less rates. (I have also done this in London)

>and
>
>Who will provide the capital needed to set this up?

Partly as above .... and
There are some good grants for developing new models (4 users via 1 box
... etc), their usability and extension.  (Have also done this (the
grants not the computer stuff) ... so If this begins to take off I can
help a bit here too).
The charity applies for these grants (small problem - this takes some
time .. up to 1 year)
The charity borrows, begs ... steals equipment .... it can do this
easier than a business.
The charity lets on contract, the running of the shop to the internet
cafe business below.

The unemployed GLLUG members looking for interesting work register
themselves self-employees (or as a small business) on the Enterprise
allowance. (have done this as well)

There has to be a clear separation between the business and charitable
activities ... but this works.

¿¿Space in the cafe for the Professional LINUX consultancy group, ....
and for the helper group set up a few months ago?? etc, etc. ....

Love
Norm