[Gllug] I Better Introduce Myself Too...

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Sun Dec 22 23:32:53 UTC 2002

Wm wrote:
>>Bah. You new people have it so easy :-). I started off with Linux FT
>>(hands up who here remembers that), being forced to learn the
>
> urge horrible thing that PCW had as a cover disk and also related
> to the company that was lasermoon who also ahppened to be the uk
> distrbiutor of redhat, which is why everyone in the uk got
> redhat from the US...

Yeah, it was produced by Lasermoon. I don't know if they were also the
UK distributor of RedHat - I think I only knew of Slackware and FT back
then. (I wasn't actually interested in Linux as such back then; I felt
like learning Unix, and a friend gave me an FT CD, which started me on
the road to where I am now :-)

> didn't they also use a werid overlay fs for their installation
> that required having the disk in the drive?

Yeah. It 'cached' off CD - the first time a program was run, it loaded
off CD (and copied to the hard drive). Thereafter, it would run from the
hard drive. I actually quite liked that, when I was working with not
much drive space. Admittedly, I never had a reason to put a different CD
in the drive in those days.

> and WTF did they do to their header files?

No idea. I didn't do any programming with it (and, as far as I remember,
the only thing I ever (re)compiled was my kernel)

Dan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk