[Gllug] how to check for a transparent proxy

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Dec 3 10:05:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:54:56AM +0000, Mark wrote:

> > > Ok, indeed, this is possible.  In fact, it wouldn't be that hard to set up
> > > come to think of it.
> >
> > With iptables, yes, it should be possible.  But I've not come across it
> > done that way.
>
> Generally the whole point of implementing a transparent proxy is to
> force all http traffic into a locally controlled cache so that maximum
> aggregation of content as close to the requestor as possible is
> achieved.
>
> Particularly when dealing with cheap / free dialup accounts where
> keeping the bandwidth costs at the border right down is essential.

I know how transparent proxies work.  We were discussing the options for
ip packet rewriting, if you look back.  Conventionally a transparent
proxy makes itself invisible only to the client and the ip redirection
happens on the client->proxy side.  What has been suggested is a further
ip packet rewrite on the proxy->webserver side so that the webserver
sees (and responds to) the client ip address rather than the proxy one.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin