[Gllug] how to check for a transparent proxy

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Tue Dec 3 11:21:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:05:28AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> I know how transparent proxies work.  We were discussing the options for
> ip packet rewriting, if you look back.  Conventionally a transparent
> proxy makes itself invisible only to the client and the ip redirection
> happens on the client->proxy side.  What has been suggested is a further
> ip packet rewrite on the proxy->webserver side so that the webserver
> sees (and responds to) the client ip address rather than the proxy one.

OK, I was actually thinking about a transparent HTTP L4 router
which I wrote at a previous job[1]. This didn't modify the packets
at all, but it could redirect packets over different ATM interfaces
depending on the content of the HTTP headers (eg. the URL). Some
of these ATM interfaces would serve files from local caches even
though the URL requested would appear to be a remote server. The
company patented the techniques and sells them to companies that
make L4 switches. Sorry for the confusion (and my confusion too ...)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj