[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 23:32:43 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 07:09, Sudhir Anand wrote:
> On Friday 13 December 2002 01:07, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:00, Sudhir Anand wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I find both desktop environments get in my way. I enjoy running
> > several of the GNOME apps (Evolution, Gnumeric, Gnucash, Abiword),
> > whereas I don't habitually use any KDE apps. I still prefer a Window
> > Manager, and an xterm as my desktop, but I never thought GNOME was
> > siginificantly worse than KDE, and in the long term I think it's the
> > desktop project that'll go further.
>
> Which distro of Linux do you use?

Debian - though I've relatively recently left the RedHat camp. I started
out with Slackware, moved to using RedHat with version 3.0.3, and
finally ditched my RH6 install for Sarge.

RedHat are putting together a very nice distro these days, but I've
found myself installing newer versions of RH only to rip out as much as
possible of the extraneous crap. With Debian, I get a system that only
has the stuff I want, and the Debian packaging system is superior to
RPM, IMO. Having apt-get on hand takes a lot of the drudgery out of
routine/security upgrades, and Debian seem to enjoy keeping
compatibility, whereas RedHat radically change the RPM format every once
in a while to keep you on your toes. They then do nice things like
statically linking it against bugged versions of glibc....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk