[Gllug] Filtering emails

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Tue Dec 17 11:47:31 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 10:43, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Apologies for the lack of clue in this message. But....
>
> I want to sell my sys admin the idea that we can pre-filter email
> messages before they hit our Exchange server (yes, i am afraid the
> dark side is strong here) to avoid DOS type attacks by mail bombing us
> with spam.
>
> He's beginning to see the light on the usefulness (mainly via low TCO)
> of the true path, so I might be on to a winner if I can say this is
> easy to set up. Is it? Is it possible at all?

Linux box, exim (or mta of choice) pass all email through filters /
scanners to your hearts content.  Bounce anything where you've not
defined a deliverable address at smtp rcpt time.  Forward everything
which gets through down to the exchange box.  Been doing it here for
years.

(At one point there was talk of making the the exchange server primary
MX but I think I've won the discussion after the exchange box complained
about the amount of email landing after a rapid fire discussion on an
internal alias which generated a few hundred emails in a few minutes :)
Random data point, we've rejected 3,500 recipients today before they
reached the data part of the transfer because the address doesn't exist,
that's an improvement on the day I turned on the feature it was over
20,000....

   Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
"To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell -

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk