[Gllug] Window Managers

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Dec 27 16:06:07 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 12:29:41PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Saturday, Dec 21, 2002, at 03:46 Europe/London, Pete Ryland wrote:
> >
> >Give Window Maker a try.  I've found it to be pretty worthy.  And it
> >integrates with both GNOME and KDE apps nicely, as well as GNUStep
> >apps.
>
> Used to be a big fan of window maker, but found that it was unwieldy to
> use it as the main window manager for the later releases of KDE (you
> know, the ones that started to use the window manager hints from
> http://www.freedesktop.org/ )
>
> Since later versions of GNOME also use these hints, and WM didn't
> implement them, I had it marked as a dying project. Anyone know any
> differently?

I think a lot of desktops have suffered with the rise of KDE and Gnome,
not that I have anything against them other than they don't suit me.  To
write them off though is premature and only does them harm I remember
that WM ran a front page news item telling people that whatever they
were hearing on mailing list and news groups they were not dead, so it
is a commom misconception.  A quick perusal of there site shows they
claim support for both Gnome and KDE hints so maybe they have caught up.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk