[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Thu Dec 12 23:40:20 UTC 2002

>> On 12 Dec 2002, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> said:

   > C# and .NET have always looked to me to be MS's "clone Java"
   > option.

Big-time.  The CLR is identical to the JVM in so many ways (stack-based,
same idea of stack frames, bytecode verification..) that it can't be
incidental.  C# is close enough to Java that Microsoft have a _source
filter_ for converting from Java source to C# source, and a straight
bytecode convertor from JBC to MSIL.

   > The only big, obvious difference is that Microsoft have made an
   > effort to make their "VM" language neutral, whereas Sun bound the
   > Java VM tightly to the Java language. Java is obviously something
   > Microsoft feel threatened by enough to copy...

Don't forget that the CLR may support multiple source languages, but is
only targetted at Windows.  You get all of this support for languages,
but lose the ability to have supported targetting at Linux, or any kind
of targetting at MacOS or Solaris.  There are lots of situations in
which a Java project won't be able to begin to consider moving to .NET..

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk