[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 23:25:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 15:54, Dylan wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 01:27, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > I must admit that this has always confused me. I see the point of Java
> > in client-side applications, where the cross-platform nature of the
> > software is very useful, but Java on the server is another matter.
> >
> > Is there any actual reason why I should choose to run server side
> > software on my web server, where I control the platform, in an emulated
> > environment guaranteed to slow everything to a crawl? Is there any sane
> > reason to choose Java over, well, *anything* else that's not running in
> > a JVM? I'm genuinely curious as to why so many people seem to have
> > bought into servlets, and I can only currently rationalize by assuming
> > that Intel are brainwashing people......
> >

> I'm not a Java bod (in the least) but isn't it more straightforward to produce
> a client-server app if both ends are written under the same system? I'm
> thinking of things like Java chat applets etc.

Quite possibly, but I was referring specifically to servlets on web
servers, not the general case of client-server stuff. Although you could
use a servlet to serve an applet to the client, which would then connect
back, most servlet users seem to just use the servlet to connect to a
database, and spit out HTML - a job which can be done, IMO, better with
Perl.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk