[Gllug] Hi all

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 16:28:05 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 19 Dec 2002, French, Alastair wrote:
>On the subject of quiter fans etc, does anyone know where I can get a quiet
>cpu fan for a AMD K6II-300. The cpu fits a super socket 7 motherboard, but
>anyone who sells the quiet fans etc does not mention the super socket 7
>type. Mine is about to give up and I need a new one ASAP.

Super-7 is largely a thing of the past now (this isn't intended to
necessarily express my approval of the rate at which computer parts
become obsolete, but that's the way it is); but parts for super-7 CPUs
might also be sold for Pentiums (not Pentium II), since "super socket
7" and "socket 7" are physically identical.

A Super-7 era CPU can probably get by with a good heatsink alone, but
finding such a thing might be equally awkward.

I wonder if socket-Athlon fans and heatsinks will fit socket 7 CPUs?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk