[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Sun Dec 15 21:12:15 UTC 2002

On Friday 13 Dec 2002 8:11 am, Sudhir Anand wrote:
> Do you know where C# fits in?  Is it similar to C++?  I understand that it
> is C++ without pointer concept.  Does anyone know if there are plans for a
> Open Source compiler and IDE for C#?

.NET is basically Microsoft's rip-off of Java, and C# is their rip-off of the
Java language. It's based on a similar JIT compiled, garbage-collecting VM
(despite what the marketecture might say), with the added advantage that you
can compile any language to .NET (given that it adheres to certain
guidelines). Like Java however, it's still not much chop if you want
performance or real-time assurance.

I have managed to get some console C# apps working in both Windows and Linux,
using the mono compiler and runtime -
  http://www.go-mono.com/

Luv Jon

--