[Gllug] OT Firewire/Fast Networking

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Mon Dec 9 21:32:42 UTC 2002

On 9 Dec 2002, Ian Baillie wrote:

> Is there an inexpensive way of networking which would allow a number of
> machines to have there files stored centrally and be able to do video
> editing?

Interestign question!

Xander mentioned Firewire - there has recently been a thread on the
Beowulf list discussing IP over Firewire.  Sounds afun thing to try out.

I guess though that the real answer to your question is that the current
ways of doing things like this are either via a fibre channel SAN - and
this is expensive,
or to use gigabit Ethernet - cheap these days.

> If not, how is it done in the industry?  DO the users just have a
> dedicated machine and drive for the duration?
>
> An alternative is to have external firewire drives that they can plug
> into any of the machines...

That might not be such a bad idea actually.
As the saying goes, the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with magnetic
tapes is
pretty big :-)>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk