[Gllug] OT Firewire/Fast Networking

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Dec 9 17:02:28 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:20:59PM +0000, Ian Baillie wrote:
> Is there an inexpensive way of networking which would allow a number of
> machines to have there files stored centrally and be able to do video
> editing?
>
> I am working in a school with a network of iMacs. Using iMovie, we would
> like to have classes whereby the children can do video editing (with
> there own copies of the main files, but be able to log on from any
> machine in the room to edit them.
>
> If not, how is it done in the industry?  DO the users just have a
> dedicated machine and drive for the duration?
>
> An alternative is to have external firewire drives that they can plug
> into any of the machines...

If I was doing it I would go for a centralised linux server using an IDE
RAID and 2 or three bonded NICs to match disk IO this means that the
server could serve several clients across across a switched network more
effciently.  EVMS and other tools will make the setting up and
maintenace of the RAID array and Logical volumes something fairly easy.
You could also think carefully about webmin and e-smith server for a
nice GUI environment for routine tasks and admin.

I realise other and wiser people will and have recommended SCSI and
gigabit ethernet.  Since you are a school however I would imagine that
cost is also going to be a big factor even if you are a posh school with
iMacs. ;)

If you are running OS 9 I guess you must be using appletalk over IP?

If you are the netatalk module will emulate Apple file sharing pretty
well.

A quick warning however appletalk is a fairly 'chatty protocol' and on a
congested network it's control messages can get lost.  A quick restart
of netatalk usally fixes such problems.

Hope some of this helps.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk