[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Fri Dec 6 12:47:36 UTC 2002

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 10:34  am, Neil Fryer wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a question for all of you, and hope that you can give me some
> advice.
> I am have been a SysAd for the last 4 1/2 years, and I really want to
> get
> out of this line, and into programming, but I can't really afford to
> take a
> cut in salary.
> The only programming that I have ever really done, would be scripting
> (Bash), and a little bit of Perl, and Python. So basically I'm willing
> learn a load of new things but have no idea how to get into this line,
> can
> anyone offer any advice at all on this?

Much though you and others may find this dis-tasteful I am going to
suggest Microsoft's .NET languages. Mostly VB.net and C#.net

They're getting more and more popular and there are loads of books to
get you started. There is a bit of an entry barrier though in that you
have to purchase the development environment as the free C# compilers
don't yet support the technologies that most paying customers will be
looking at (Web services and ASP.net etc)

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk