[Gllug] Backup recommendations

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 16:46:35 UTC 2002

> >>You're missing the point that tapes stored offsite, while they may get
> >>stolen or burned or whatever, will not suffer that fate _at the same
> >>time_ as the system they are backing up.
> >>Any home user can store tapes off site. Take 'em to work!
> >Neither will removable hard drives.
>
> That's not what was originally suggested, and quite a bit more
> expensive because you're going to need more of them - at least two,
> since you've got to have one out of the machine and one in the machine
> to be backed up. And a mechanism for hot-swapping IDE drives, unless
> you want to shut down your machine and take it apart every week. And
> even so, it become prohibitively expensive if you want to extend your
> backups back in time.

most of our rack mount servers have USB. now USB is not the fasted
media for transfering data. but for an overnight backup its fine.

why not get an external enclosure for 5 1/4 inch bay, fit a 3 1/2
inch hdd swappable bay inside and backup over USB. various folks i
know backup their dozer boxen once a week this way. i have backed up
linux boxes this way too ... tho for transport really, not for
regular backup.

you may even be able to convince AMANDA to backup to a USB HDD this
way, although you would need a few disk, but they dont have to be
too big if you do incremental backups.

a couple of 10GB disks for incremental dailies and a full backup
disk the size of the main volumes.

you could even backup a scsi box this way ... =P

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk