[Gllug] Screen Capture

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Tue Feb 12 16:42:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, john wrote:

> Playing a dvd or a vCD under Linux - How do I capture a screen image?
> Using the KSnapshot I get a bright blue background where the film should be
> Why?

Because the video is not being played through the X server, it's using some
form of overlay - probably Xvideo - which means it goes straight to the
graphics card, bypassing the server.  That means that a program which asks
the X server for a copy of the window gets the blank window which the
program puts up for the Xvideo to overlay on top of.

Does that make sense?

The way to get a screen shot is to tell your software not to use Xvideo (or
overlay mode, or various other things with the same meaning).  The
performance will be a lot worse, because it should go through the server,
but it means you can grab it...

> John S

Cheers
Richard