LSB and FHS (was Re: [Gllug] tar.gz)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 6 05:08:25 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:03:58AM +0000, Pete wrote:
> Hmm.. I've really only found stow useful when helping maintain a bunch of
> *non*-linux machines where we had all the useful gnu stuff compiled from
> source in there away from the sam- or pkgadd-installed stuff (and nfs'ed too
> iirc).  Fortnately for me, I haven't had to install or maintain a non-linux
> unix for a while now. :)

No matter how good the packaging system of your distro might be, every
so often you need to grab a tarball, even as a temporary measure.  There
are a few key utilites I need at work for which there are no packages
(or no remotely suitable packages).  Stow also makes it easy to
distribute said apps accross the network.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"