Touchtyping (was Re: [Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 21 10:54:15 UTC 2002

>I leave it to you to deduce which letters & which arrows.
>
>So what we have is an 18 year(ish) old accident.

It's not entirely an accident though. If you look at which keys were
chosen, you'll see an alarming correspondence to ASCII. For example,
an ASCII backspace is 0x08 (ctrl-h), which generally goes left a
character, just as the h key does in vi. Similarly, ASCII line feed
(0x0A, ctrl-j) goes down a character, and ASCII vertical tab (0x0B,
ctrl-k) goes up a character. The odd one out is ctrl-l, which is
a form feed, rather than a "move right" code, but you can't have
everything :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk