[Gllug] tips and tricks...

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 00:33:35 UTC 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Michael E. A. yowled:
> Its amazing the kind of tips/tricks you can learn at a LUG meeting.
> Just the other day i decided to boot into my SuSE Partition to do a bit
> of 'Spring Cleaning', when i realised i had forgotten my root password.
>
> I was contemplating a reinstall when i just happened to mention it to
> 'Matt', at yesterdays Lonix Meeting.
> I was adviced to mount the partition using 'tomsrtbt' (or similar) and
> edit the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

No need to do that.

Pass

init=/bin/sh

to the kernel via the LILO command line, &c.

Bingo, instant root prompt.

(Of course you need physical access for this so it is not a security
hole; someone with such access can already do anything.)

--
`It is to be proven that Linux Kernel is the most stable than MS Windows
 that it uses less stable.' --- Bryan Parkoff being very comprehensible

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk