[Gllug] Unix Mailbox format / Exchange POP3 connector etc.

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 22:54:33 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, E. R. Vaughan spake:
> You might also find this interesting (qmail author's remarks on RFC822)
> http://cr.yp.to/immhf.html
>
> There are more interesting docs here http://cr.yp.to/mail.html
>
> FWIW I agree with him and use qmail on my servers. The Postfix author had a
> flame war once with him about all this,

DJB versus Wietse Venema? They've had flamewars about *everything*,
probably including which end of an egg to open at breakfast.

But then, DJB is so abrasive that it is rare for any discussion with him
consisting of anything other than straight agreement not to descend into
a flamewar :(

(The same is true of Theo de Raadt, of course. There are some instances
of Theo vs DJB flamewars, but in all cases the resulting explosion was
carefully pinched off from the space-time continuum to ensure its
continued integrity.)

>                        it's a vim/emacs kind of thing IMO, although I am sure
> there are people that disagree with that statement :)

It's a DJB (loner) versus Venema (opposite of loner) kind of thing. DJB
wants to produce what's *right* and pays no attention to things like
what *works* or what the rest of the world is doing that might be only
slightly worse in the process (e.g. the whole /commands mess...)

Weitse is happier for his systems to cooperate with existing systems
that he hasn't written; he doesn't have the huge NIH chip on his
shoulder than DJB appears to have.

--
`It is to be proven that Linux Kernel is the most stable than MS Windows
 that it uses less stable.' --- Bryan Parkoff being very comprehensible

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk