[Gllug] mutt & gpg revisited

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 17:00:27 UTC 2002

> > The problem is to encode outgoing mail the reverse way so my
> > OE/Kmail-using friends can read my encrypted emails without a lot of
> > hassle. (mutt always uses an attachment even if I don't select
> > application/pgp, and they need plain inline text I think.)
> >
> > Can some one give me a pointer of where to start:
> > 1) some option in mutt (don't think this exists)
>
> Stick this in your ~/.muttrc
>
> macro compose S "Fgpg --clearsign\ny" "clearsign message"
>
> Just hit S in the "about to send" window and your message will be
> clearsigned, which is the old style.

Thanks, I'll check that out - is this just for signing though? I presume
there must be something similar for encrypting?

> > 2) some recipe in .procmailrc
>
> You processes _outgoing_ mail through procmail?

I'm not very clear on the ins and outs of the whole mail subsystem,
whether the MUA calls procmail before sending it on to the MTA or
whether the MTA calls procmail internally but in theory it would seem
plausible that procmail could process outgoing mail. I saw some
reference on Google about this but it was a little unclear.

Or is the point that as you have control over your outgoing mail via the
MUA, you should never need to process it with procmail as this is more
logically done in the MUA?

Paul.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk