[Gllug] Backup recommendations

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 15:39:27 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 12 Feb 2002, Jackson, Harry wrote:
>Fit another controller and you may be able to get back the data. If you have
>two identical drives the controller from one should fit the other.

I don't think you're addressing the general point that, if your
backups are in the same place as your machine, many things can carry
them both off - and this is particularly true if they are dependent on
the same infrastructure as your machine (worst case, they're on discs
inside the machine and using its power supply.)

In this specific case, I was thinking not of drive electronics but of
a mad IDE controller that eats all your discs at once. It does happen.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk