[Gllug] www.newscientist.com/hottopics/copyleft/

john john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 23:19:38 UTC 2002

> Linux Journal and Linux Format are great for Linux things. PC Plus is a bit
> too glossy for my like, and their reviews are sometimes plain wrong. Some
> good techincal & programming tips in the back though. (By the way, can
> anyone explain why PC Plus and its ilk put out their "March" editions in
> early January - WTF?!  :-) Up until about two years ago I used to enjoy the
> US editions of PC Magazine, but I've lost track of it since.

Okay commercial plug first - Colin and myself edit Linux Magazine.

I asked the publisher who said -
Cover dates on magazines are actually the kill dates - This means if the
magazine says June then at the end of June it goes off sale and the newsagent
uses the space for something else.
Everyone agrees it is stupid but no one wants to be the magazine saying May
when all the others on the shelf say June. This is especially sensative in
Gaming magazines such as those for PSX, XBox etc.

John S

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk