[Gllug] RFC - February meeting

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 23:38:39 UTC 2002

On Sunday 03 February 2002 22:58, john wrote:
> A request for more control over the mailing list was called for.
> This was due to the recent Off Topic discussions that have taken place.

My hand goes up - guilty as charged!

As one of the main culprits, and more generally as an opinionated hothead, I
apologise to any offended parties for wasting their bandwidth. I'll try not
to bang on about the environment or IPE any more as this is a Linux forum.

I don't think we need a moderator if we all just agree to disagree. I'd
prefer just to make a vow not to post ameteur rantings of a philosophical,
sociological, political, environmental or otherwise nature, and not to reply
to same such.

I also think we're all mature and intelligent enough that if there was an
addition to the list policy such as -

"Thou shalt not attempt to solve, enter into protracted debate about, nor
enter into childish name-calling exchanges regarding, thy world's problems,
the inner mysteries of the universe or the merits of thy automatic
transmissions, through the gllug forum"

or similar, we'd all get along fine. The occasional OT discourse is to be
expected, but the best way to avoid big nasty weary OT threads is to ignore
or delete them (said he, who shall endeavour to do such himself from now
on! :-).

I am/have been on a quite a few other lists, and I can quite confidently say
that this is by far the most hot-headed, opinionated, dangerous and
post-from-the-hip list I've ever seen. But that is what makes this forum so
cool!

After all is said and done, we all have a Delete key...

(unless you have an Apple IIe???)

luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker