[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 20:47:15 UTC 2002

The issue is not about exclusion. It is not a matter of excluding those who use operating systems other than GNU or whose kernel is not Linux.

I don't think anyone should be excluded. If they are interested in what we are doing, then it should be fine.

However, most of what we discuss is to do with the GNU operating system whose kernel happens to be, most of the time, Linux.

It is reasonable, therefore, for the operating system name to be referred to, especially since the philosophy which brought us GNU/Linux and has given us a free alternative to proprietary software would benefit from such simple lip service.

Most of the systems you refer to do use GNU software. I have just logged on to a BSD machine which uses bash- an important GNU application. Many of the systems you refer to use te GCC compiler. Another core GNU application.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk