[Gllug] Backup recommendations

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 16:40:36 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 12 Feb 2002, Jackson, Harry wrote:
>So what you really meant to say in this email
><quote>
>"Unless the room burns down, the machine is stolen, the disc controller
>goes mad, the PSU breaks and kills everything in the case, someone
>pours coffee into the machine..."
><unquote>
>Is that it is more expensive and involves more work than the tape
>solution.

No. I suggest you spend less time trying to pick holes and go back and
read Jim's article; he suggests one pair of discs that live in your
machine - which is an admittedly economical solution which is
vulnerable to the problems I outline - fire, theft, power, caffienated
drinks, etc.

Multiple removable discs is a _different_ approach to the one Jim
suggested. It is unremarkable that it has different disadvantages.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk