[Gllug] Swap file size

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 00:26:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 16:52, Kim Hawtin wrote:

> disk space and performance is an issue. but i dont thrash memory
> much and i dont have many open programs, just mozilla and a few
> xterms.
>
> there is no point raiding swap under linux as it now does something
> similar across disk now, unless you give one disk a higher priority.

Last time I looked, given multiple swap partitions on different physical
disks, Linux would happily stripe data across them, so RAID gave no
performance advantage on swap. However, if you're running software
RAID5, and lose a disk, your system will crash if you didn't RAID your
swap partition. The striping done by the kernel is not fault tolerant.
If you stuck your swap partition on a RAID5 device, the system should
survive.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk