[Gllug] ADSL Hacking.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 00:42:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 10:18, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I assume that BT are contemplating a rush, so are probably changing all
> the exchange hardware together. My own phone went dead for a while the other
> day. I wonder what would happen if an ADSL filter and router were simply
> plugged in to the line....

Not much. If you get ADSL, BT put a filter on both ends of the line,
then patch across from the exchange end filter to the DSLAM. Even
assuming they patched all the lines at the exchange into the DSLAM,
there would not be an ATM path built for the line until you put in an
order. Personally, I doubt they have as many DSLAM ports as exchange
lines, though I woudn't be surprises if they put exchange end filters on
all the lines.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk