[Gllug] ADSL

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 09:10:54 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 07:11:55PM -0000, E. R. Vaughan wrote:
> > Just been re-reading the recent thread on wires-only ADSL and whether to
> > go for a USB modem or an ethernet router (with plusnet).
>
> For your own sanity I advise not getting the hideous USB modem. The people
> who designed this monstrosity should be lined up against the wall and shot.
> Or perhaps that is too good for them. Just MHO! :)

What sort of problems do you have ?
I have heard several people moan about the USB modem, but not had problems since I
set one up for a customer last Summer.

What interface would an ethernet router provide -- a UTP plug ?
What level does it work at -- convert to ethernet packets all the PPP over ATM
packets that come down the ADSL line ?
I am quoted 50 quid for a USB modem + 2 microfilters, what would an ethernet router cost ?

There are 2 USB modems that I have heard of: Fujisu FSX310 (which I gather does not work
with Linux), and Alcael Speed Touch (which I did set up for someone last Summer & had
no real problems).

My 'phone line comes into the front of my house, where my 'phone is. I currently have a 'phone
line splitter with a long extension lead to the back of my house where my fax & PC live.
Would there be any problems unplugging the modem & plugging in the ADSL box with this setup ?

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk