[Gllug] Swap file size

Lee Blackwell lee_blackwell at eur.3com.com
Fri Feb 1 10:19:42 UTC 2002

> Errm, but when a Sun box dies and dumps memory, doesn't it stream it
> all into swap space?
Not if I disable core dumps.  Can't remember how tho ;-)

> So if you ever needed to do dump analysis to find out what your box
> was doing when it went down, you'd need at least swap = ram ...
Whats the point? If the box core dumps or kernel panics then I get on the
phone to Sun and use up some of that platinum support we pay a fortune
for..

I haven't got time to faff about going through an 4Gb dump file.  If the
sendmail relay is down, and all mail is being relayed via the US, I've got
a short amount of time to get the box up and running, before the US go
schizo and want to know whats going on.  Chances are if it's anything
serious, I'd just nuke everything and reinstall with a re-install via
jumpstart.  It's all part of the DR plans.

Anyways - this is all relevant to Sun & corporate business, rather than
Linux!

I see and accept your point, and if I was building more developmental or
experimental servers, then I'd do as you say.  For what I'm managing at
the moment, the bottom line is to keep the service running, whatever it
may be (sendmail/dns/oracle etc)

Lee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk