[Gllug] Windowmaker and KDE

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 11 12:13:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:43:27AM +0000, Simon wrote:
> Not what I wanted to hear, and judging from your answer something
> that's not going to get fixed in my lifetime. Time to either try and
> get used to GNOME again, or to break out kappdock unless anyone out
> there knows of a windowmaker fork that works properly with KDE 2?

It's possible to make Gnome look quite windowmakerish.  For a while I
used Gnome and Enlightenment, with the Absolute-e theme.  By getting rid
of the task bar and having 2 vertical panels, right and left, with only
tiles on them I had something that looked quite like the WM dock and
panel with the bonus of being single click.

Enlightenment provided the different backgrounds for different desktops,
which Gnome didn't do at the time (does it now?).

People accuse Enlightenment of bloat but with all the extras stripped
out and the Absolute-e theme I had something fairly minimal.  Not as
minimal as I have now, of course, but minimalist.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.