[Gllug] named

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Feb 4 01:03:09 UTC 2002

On 29 Jan 2002, Nix wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, William Palfreman stipulated:
> > into the documentation it said that bind-9 needed a 2.4 kernel when run on
> > Linux so that it could do posix threading.
>
> Alternatively, you turn threading off, and it works just as well, as far
> as I've been able to tell :)

Yes.  I know that _now_ :-)

> > Anyway, it just never worked properly.  It would periodically die for no
> > reason, it would stop answering things on UDP 53 on eth0 for no reason and
> > ultimately need an init 6, it would incosistantly answer reqeusts on
>
> Something very odd is happening there; I don't see that on any of the
> nameservers I admin (none of which are publically accessible, but one of
> which is fairly heavily hit nonetheless, hundreds to thousands of
> requests a minute).

I just think it was some combination of flakyness in both Linux 2.4.2 and
early BIND9.  Linux 2.2.19 and BIND 8.latest worked *much* better.  I
image the problem is long resolved today.

> (FWIW, I build bind with
>
> --disable-threads --with-libtool --enable-shared --disable-static
> --with-gnu-ld)

I don't really build anything production today.  Now I just
monitor'n'escalate.  I suppose I restart the occasional daemon too.

Regards,
Bill.

--
William Palfreman