[Gllug] Debian gateways

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 4 01:18:56 UTC 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 11:47:47PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Bruce Richardson said:
> > On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:39:47PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> >> Avoiding GUI config tools is important. Working in text mode at the
> >> console keyboard is not :)
> >
> > It's a good place to learn Linux/Unix skills if that is not your
> > background, though, which is the point I was making/reiterating.
>
> Again, it doesn't matter if you're in X or not; that you're not using
> single-distro-specific hide-everything GUI config tools is what's
> important. Use the invariant stuff :)

Except that the discipline of only working at the console is useful,
especially for a newbie.  If you can't just point and click to do
something you haven't learned the commands for, you have to learn the
commands.

--
Bruce

The most interesting thing about King Charles the First is that he was
five foot six inches tall at the start of his reign but only four foot
eight inches tall at the end of it. -- Monty Python