[Gllug] IDE CD burners

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 21 17:12:05 UTC 2002

>Um. I thought 'supported by Linux' was kind of implicit in what I wrote.

Yeah, but there's degrees of "supported by Linux". When it claims
Linux support on the box, and even includes the Linux drivers on a
disk, you think you're OK. The fact that the Tekram support in the
kernel only supports certain models isn't mentioned. Nor is the
fact that the patch for the unsupported models is flaky. To quote
the driver maintainer:

	I would currently not suggest to use this driver, if you are
	dealing with important data, which you don't have a backup
	of! YOU RISK DATA LOSS!

In short, if you're buying a Takram card, make sure it's one of
the ones based on an AMD chipset, rather than a Tekram set...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk