[Gllug] Large format printers?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Feb 21 14:43:30 UTC 2002

On Thu 21 Feb, tet at accucard.com bloviated thus:

> Assume worst case, and your output device is a 1200dpi phototypesetter.
> That'd still result in a 3 foot image. Suitable for a poster, you might
> think. But in real life, photographic images don't need anywhere near
> that resolution, particularly when you bear in mind that CMYK separation
> and screening typically reduces resolution by a factor of 4 or more.
> Scale it down in software to 6000x3000 or so, and you won't be able to
> tell the difference on the final output. Most print shops should be
> able to cope with images that size. Failing that, you'll have to go to
> a commercial printer.

That's why I want a large format printer.  I don't really need 1200
dpi, nor am I willing to pay for that sorta quality.

Any suggestions on places to do it?

> As an aside, does anyone know where I can get PostScript printed in
> typical high street shops? My PostScript printer only goes up to A3,
> and I've had occasion to want larger in the past. All the places I
> tried last time just gave me a blank look, and told me they could
> only print Word documents or images from Photoshop.

http://www.kinkos.com/locations/intl.php?countryCode=GBR

But as I said, they're pretty clueless and expensive.  But useful for
one-offs.  If you mess something up (scaling, CMYK, whatever), blame
them.  They're too clueless to argue if you throw some technical terms
around and will give you another go at it :)

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until
you can find a rock.
- Will Rogers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk