[Gllug] Debian interface/routing setup

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 11:47:21 UTC 2002

I've got a remote Debian stable server that has failed to come up again
after an unexpected power off/on. (not responding to pings or nmaps or
anything)

I suspect the culprit is the /etc/network/interfaces file.
(any other possibilities?)

I've looked through loads of documentation and it seems there are two
ways of specifying gateway/routing information in this file:
1) gateway xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt (this is what we have)
2) up route add gw ....

are these equivalent or what?

The only other thing is there was a virtual interface etho:0 with a
different IP defined in the file as as well as eth0 but I can't see that
this is the problem.

Ideally I need to work out the most likely cause of the problem before
physically going to the machine.

--
Paul Brazier
Group IT

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk