[Gllug] socket 4

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Thu Feb 7 17:13:44 UTC 2002

ok, here is the story,

woke up late, set off to get to 9am lecture on campus, i took a detour
to get there a bit faster and to my delight, amongst a heap of crap on
someone's lawn was a small PC shaped object :-). I sprang over to the
abanondened boxen and produced my pen-knife and began to explore.

The machine is a elonex, pci, pci and isa's are on a riser, at first i
just salvaged the usual, (chip, ram, drive, cables) the rest being
fairly wet. on closer inspection of the cpu socket i noticed 'socket 4'
wtf is socket 4 i asked myself. so having never in my years of raiding
skips ever seen a socket 4 i chose to take the whole box back to my room
and salvage the lot.

the actual cpu has 'intel overdrive podp' written on it, it is
considerably bigger than a 486, and about 10% smaller than a pentium
(wierd ppro i thought) the chip has the fan mounted directly on it and
it picks up power from three contacts on the chip surface. in small
feint text on one corner is '133' so i guess this is some sort of odd
p133,

wtf is socket 4?

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk