[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Harry postituk at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 21:01:39 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Hill" <t0 at nickhill.co.uk>
> The issue is not about exclusion. It is not a matter of excluding those
who use operating systems other than GNU or whose kernel is not Linux.

> I don't think anyone should be excluded. If they are interested in what we
are doing, then it should be fine.

> However, most of what we discuss is to do with the GNU operating system
whose kernel happens to be, most of the time, Linux.

> It is reasonable, therefore, for the operating system name to be referred
to, especially since the philosophy which brought us GNU/Linux and has given
us a free    > alternative to proprietary software would benefit from such
simple lip service.

> Most of the systems you refer to do use GNU software. I have just logged
on to a BSD machine which uses bash- an important GNU application. Many of
the > systems you refer to use te GCC compiler. Another core GNU
application.

If this is on topic can we go back to some of our off topic threads as they
where quite fun if nothing else.

Harry

---

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk