[Gllug] [OT] MySQL experts?

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Wed Feb 20 13:34:13 UTC 2002

I have run the above SQL on my database and it appears syntactically
correct. I changed the user in question so this is what may be causing you
the problem. I ran the statement below.

 GRANT DROP, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, SELECT, USAGE, ALTER on
 nis1.* to user@"%" identified by 'blargh';

> Then FLUSH PRIVILEGES; and exit and  mysqladmin reload
> just to be sure.
>
> But then
> mysqlaccess localhost superuser nis1
> says that superuser has no password

I done this with no errors.

> And trying to set the password manually by
>  mysqladmin -u  superuser password blargh
> comes back to me and says that 'you are using MySQL as an
> anonymous user'
>
> But superuser is in the mysql.user table.
> I'm lost...
>
> Guess I really should take this to the MySQL lists.
> But if a passing guru can help me please...

Are you logged in as mysql root user. I think when you first install Mysql
you have to set up your root user properly as the default install is a bit
pants as far as security goes.

For the above statements I was logged in as root.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk