[Gllug] NetGear fa311 errors & errors & errors ....

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 21:57:12 UTC 2002

On Monday, February 11, 2002 9:37 AM Thomas Robinson wrote
Subject: RE: [Gllug] NetGear fa311 errors & errors & errors ....

> Can anyone help me determine what's causing these errors? This interface
> has only been up since Friday and there has been no-one in the office to
> add extra activity to the 'normal' idle network traffic. The host in
> question runs sendmail and a DNS slave. The NIC still works but this
> ever increasing stream of errors is very offputting.
>
> Is it a hardware problem, a driver problem, a kernel problem, or just my
> problem?:-)Any help would be  appreciated.

This may be of interest, quoted from Netgear Tech Support early this year:

>>The problem is caused by the National Semiconductor chip set, DP83816,
used in the Netgear cards providing some inappropriate signal to the PCI
bus.
The fix to this problem requires a new revision to the hardware. We have
reported this problem to National Semiconductor and is working closely with
them on the problem. However, there is no estimate date as to when the new
card will be available.
we can replace your FA311 with a FA310.In this case, call us on 02072160014
with a proof of purchase you can e-mail or fax us.
Otherwise, you need to return it to the point of purchase and have another
network card model from another make.<<

In my case, when the card was put into a spare pci slot, and the box turned
on, all three neons on the front of the case would light up and nothing
else, not even POST beep.

The chipset on my mobo is AMD Ironbridge 751.

I solved problem by switching NIC's with another box with different chipset
and all was OK.

It still makes you wonder tho' how they have the nerve to still market these
cards knowing that there is an inherent design problem with them and place
no info as to which motherbords/chipsets wont work with it.

actually thats damn stupid. We all know why they dont!!

Hope this helps

Andy

//list.ftech.net/mailman/listinfo/gllug

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk