[Gllug] messing with /dev files

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Wed Feb 20 13:46:19 UTC 2002

Hi all,

despite being offered the loan of a nice external modem by a friend I still
feel the need to get this Linmodem working.

The problem is with the configuration tools on Debian as far as I can tell
sine the modules load into the kernel without too much difficult.

The lin modem has its own device /dev/ham but wvdialconf only checks ttyS0
and ttyS1.

My plan is to make a link from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ham but i am fairly
certain that if i do this I will seriously fsck something up.  Using cp to
rename ttyS0 as a back up if things go wrong doesn't seem to work, prolly
because it is a special character file.  Plus I also have feeling that this
is not the solution.

Can anyone offer any suggestions this time to what my options are I don't
know anything about chat scripts but I have a feeling I might have to learn.

Peace Jim

Now the night of the fight, you may fell a slight sting, that's pride
fuckin' wit ya.  Fuck pride!

--Marsellus, Pulp Fiction

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk