[Gllug] Sun AS4030

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Feb 8 15:44:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 03:35:42PM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:
> While you could use the Sunfreeware stuff, you could also use the *Sun*
> stuff.  The Solaris Companion CD (available for download as a CD image or as
> separate packages) contains gcc, along with a bunch of other stuff.
>
> I need to shout at our marketing guy.  Why does no-one know about the work
> we do???

AFAIK, sunfreeware.com has been doing it longer? That Sun never seems
to shout about it in a way that I can hear? That I can't see an easy
link to it from the Sun site's front page? Downloads -> Solaris 8
binaries sends me to a rather literal interpreation of "Solaris 8
binaries"....

I'm not knocking Sun --- they make some kit that I've found to be
reliable and solid and Solaris offers some nice features for
controlling the machine. Their support of Linux is admirable and they
slowly seem to be getting religeon; just contrast the initial release
of "Sun's" JDK for Linux with their latest announcements.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I don't think so," said Rene Descartes.  Just then, he vanished.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk